HostedGraphite and Screenly
HostedGraphite is a great service for graphing and visualizing all sort of data. Here's how you can use it with Screenly.
Regardless of if you’re trying to plot business metric, performance metrics or system stats, HostedGraphite is a great tool to have in your toolkit.
How to use HostedGraphite with Screenly
Once you’ve started pushing data to HostedGraphite, you need to create a dashboard. Our preference for this is to use Grafana, as it looks a lot better than Graphite. Simply follow the Grafana dashboard guide to create a dashboard.
With your dashboard(s) created, you need to add them to Screenly. To do this, you need to use the ‘Share temp copy’ feature in the user interface. This will generate a secret URL (much like we did in our Nagios guide).
Once you have your secret URL, just go ahead and add it as an asset in Screenly.
Tips for using HostedGraphite/Grafana with Screenly
- Use dedicated Dashboards for Screenly.
- Since Screenly using 1920x1080px as resolution, you should optimize your dashboards for this resolution.
- A good rule of thumb is that three rows that are each 300px high will fit well.
- Hide the controllers to save screen space.
- To do this, to to ‘Configure dashboard’ -> ‘Hide controls’.
- You can create multiple dashboards.
- Perhaps you want one for marketing, and one for sales performance.
Ready to give Screenly a shot? Sign up for Screenly Pro.
More use cases
Interested in learning more about other use cases? Check out our use cases page.